Seenu Atoll | 75 Minutes by Domestic Flight + 10 Minutes by Speed Boat | 5 Star
| Vast Island | Located below the Equator | Large golf course | Spacious Villas |
| Large mangrove swamps |
Transfer from Ibrahim Nasir International Airport to the Southern most atoll of the Maldives via domestic flight and be part of a select few to travel to the Southern Hemisphere of the world by crossing the equator while in flight. The total transfer time varies between 90 to 120 minutes (including flight to Seenu Atoll Domestic Airport + the speedboat ride from there to Shangri-La’s Villingili Resort). A pleasant warm smile and a Shangri-La placard awaits at the arrival gate that proceed to the Maldivian domestic flight lounge upon contact. A short but refreshing breather at the lounge and the scenic journey to the South of the Maldives begins.
The moment of arrival at the island is of much cheer, joy, and welcoming thoughts and drinks which within a matter of minutes fade away, making way for the serene island-getaway atmosphere which is the epitome of Maldives. Of course this doesn’t come before a much required orientation of the relatively large island of Villingili. The Southern regions / atolls of the Maldives are home to comparatively larger island with bigger beaches and mangrove lakes within the islands.
The enormous island offer a thing or two what the usual island resorts in the Maldives do not. The vast and spacious villas, endless white sandy beach, not one but three individual mangrove swamps and a 9-hole golf course are a few of the uniquely Shangri-La Maldives features to indulge in. Villingili is also home to the highest point in the Maldives which is right smack in the middle of the golf course and is a staggering 5 meters above sea level (which is really quite high by comparison when the rest are barely 4 feet above sea level).
All eight villa categories offer either direct access to the sandy beach or steps leading in to the azure lagoon that surround the island. All villas (except for the Water Villa), all come with a private pool. Over-sized bedroom with outdoor shower and bathtub overlooking the Indian Ocean leave it’s dwellers in awe.
Accommodation options include: Beach Pool Villa, Deluxe Beach Pool Villa, Water Villa, Ocean View Tree House Villa, Beach Villa, Two-Bedroom Beach Villa, Villa Muthee and Villa Laalu.
* The Water Villa boasts an extremely spacious bedroom and bathroom with a chic outdoor shower offering views of the clear blue skies and the azure blue lagoon below. Over-sized bed with large, all glass windows on either side give the villa ample sunlight and breathtaking views. Terrace overlooking the Indian Ocean horizon comes complete with sun loungers, shade, hammock, sofa bed and stairs leading directly into the blue lagoon where resident colorful fish swim by cheerfully.
The uniqueness of the island of Villingili brings about a completely different side to the activities that are on offer. The island has a bountiful supply of ecological, historical and natural wonders to admire, learn and wonder about. The sheer size of the island allows its visitors to experience something new and different everyday. Unique activities and excursions such as trekking the densely forested areas of the island to hiking and exploring the mangrove swamps offer a truly Shangri-La Maldives experience never to be forgotten. The island of Gan and neighboring islands such as Villingili was used as military base by the British during the second world war and a handful of remaining buildings offer a glimpse in to the history that have long passed.
A variety of other activities including golf, lawn bowl, tennis, football, badminton and fish feeding are on offer as Land Activities along with water sports such as diving, snorkeling, fishing are offered at the Water Sports Center.
Fine wining and dining is an integral part of any island resort in the Maldives, and Shangri-La’s Villingili most certainly delivers it in true style and quality. Serving a wide array of local and international dining options in the most stunning settings. The resort’s Dine by Design service offer a number of romantic, exciting and relaxing dining options in some of the best locations throughout the island.
• DR. ALI’S – Cuisines from the Middle East, China and India make this restaurant a favorite with the variety of choice and the breathtaking ocean views that delight the dinner table.
• FASHALA – Serving Mediterranean and local delights made with the freshest of seafood from the Maldive waters, Fashala is located on the Northern tip of the island and is open on certain nights.
• JAVVU – The island’s Al Fresco international restaurant open for daily breakfast, lunch and dinner, Javvu serves up one of the finest international breakfast buffets in the Maldives.
• M LOUNGE – A chic, beachfront bar that serves up a variety of international and signature cocktails while the sunsets over the horizon. A great place to meet new people and spend sometime socializing.
Although located a bit far and requires additional travel to get here, Shangri-La’s Villingili Resort & Spa is most certainly worth it. The gorgeous villas, unspoiled natural surrounding, the best of service and the great food all make this a definite “must visit”.
If you would like to know more about our time at Shangri-La Maldives, please leave a comment and it will be my pleasure to share more.